Monday, December 19, 2011

Honey Applesauce Cake Recipe and My 200th Blog Post!!!!!



The following recipe is for Honey Applesauce Cake I found in an old cook book I was given by my mother-in-law called The Culinary Art Institute Encylcopedic Cook Book. I believe I have posted another recipe from this book and it is amazing. It's one of those books that you come across that is sitting there collecting dust until you awaken it from it's slumber and open it, its stiff spine creaking as you do so.... And though the pages are starting to fall apart and the binding glue is dry and brittle, you find these amazing little gems, recipes that have been long forgotten (some well deserved), but others just waiting to be brought to life again




This recipe is one of those gems. I actually entered it in the state fair over the summer and got first place for it. I made a few of my own adjustments such as exchanging raisins for cranberries, nut meats for almonds and using star thistle honey. This would make a great gift giving bread/cake. To give as gifts, simply use small aluminum loaf pans. This cake is super moist, but it dries out quickly so you will want to eat within 1-2 days and keep well wrapped in saran wrapped.
I have split the recipe into two large loaf pans before, but not small ones yet, so you may need to keep a close eye on them if you choose to do this as the baking time I listed below is just an estimation.


Makes: 1 8x8 cake or 4 to 5 small loaf cakes (depending on the size of the pans)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 50-60 minutes, less if you are making mini loaves

Directions:

2 1/4 cups flour - sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup roasted almonds - coarsely chopped
1/2 cup butter - softened
1 cup honey - star thistle or clover
1 egg - well beaten
1 cup chunky applesauce


Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350.
Sift 2 cups flour with soda, salt, cloves and cinnamon. Mix remaining flour with cranberries and almonds until lightly coated.

With a hand mixer on medium speed, cream together honey and butter until fluffy. Add egg and beat until mixture is well blended and mostly smooth. Add cranberries and almonds - stir. Mix in flour mixture and applesauce alternately in small batches, beating well after each addition.

Grease 8x8 loaf pan or 4-5 small loaf pans. Pour batter into pan/s and place into oven.
If using 8x8 dish, bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
If making mini loafs - time will vary depending on the size of pans you use. Check after 20-25 minutes to see how far along they are - checking every 5 minutes or so, bake until toothpick comes out clean or lightly springs back when you touch the center.

5 comments:

Nobody said...

Boy oh boy Ray! I hope you post a new blog soon! But I known you're super busy w/ your band! Yay!

BTW I don't think you've read my blog. :D You should http://thewordthatpierces.blogspot.com/ :)

God Bless ~Amy

Rachel Blair said...

Dear Amy! Well this is very past due, but will soon again be revising my dear old friend the blog. I have been planning my new approach and will soon be sharing some new culinary adventures!

Thanks for being such a great supporter and wonderful sister!!

And Yes I have seen your blog as well :)

Love,
Rachel

taximan said...

So what's new?

Rachel Blair said...

Hello Taximan and Pierces,
I have not forgotten about you two or any of my other wonderful readers. Life has kept me away with other adventures. When the time is right I will return... :)

taximan said...

congratulations.

Big D