Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Summer + Icecream + Something on Top of Ice-Cream = Happiness

The summer weather is finally here in Salem, Oregon. Its better late than never I guess :)

Well, what goes better with hot weather than ice cream? Um, nothing!! Ok maybe popsicles, but they are never quite as satisfying. Plus, have you ever tried putting toppings on a popsicle? Ya, I can just tell you it doesn’t work.
My husband and I love ice-cream, but I generally prefer something on top of it. One of my favorite toppings is fruit. Fresh fruit is good and all, but I prefer the warm syrupy kind.

One thing I often have on hand is frozen fruit. It has many uses, one of which is to make a simple fruit compote, which is generally made out of fresh fruit, but frozen fruit will last allot longer which makes it easier to have on hand just in case.

Making a fruit compote is fairly quick and very easy to make. It makes a great topping not only for ice-cream, but for many other items like pound cake, angel food cake and oatmeal. My favorite is a spiced pineapple topping which is my interpretation of Bananas Foster; a similar dish where you take butter and melt it down with brown sugar, cinnamon and sliced bananas it is then poured on top of vanilla ice-cream.

Growing up, this was always my one of my dad’s favorite desserts. I have never been a big fan of bananas so I decided to make my own version. However, you can do this with any fruits like strawberries, blueberries and peaches too. Fresh is definitely best if you have, but frozen works too, you will just want to have it mostly thawed before using. Also, with fresh fruit you can reduce the cooking time by at least 5 minutes since the fresh fruit will cook a little quicker.

No comments: