Thursday, February 4, 2010

Veggie Burgers Sometimes You Can Live With Them and Sometimes You Don't Want To!

Just like many people I enjoy a good veggie-burger from time to time. The sad thing is I have rarely had one that wasn't frozen in a box that was actually worth eating. Most are made up of some sort of variety of beans and grains and others might contain tofu. The one thing though that is inevitable is it will be dry, lack in flavor and it will fall apart in your hand. Hey, I don't mind if it a little crumbly, but it should at least have some flavor and not be as dry as sawdust. Yum, I love sawdust... I decided I would make my own and see what happened. The end result was a tasty sandwich that ya was a little crumbly, but not too dry and definitely not lacking in flavor.

To start making your own you will just need a few things. Your favorite veggies, beans(canned, or reconstituted and cooked dried beans), a binder such as egg or sour cream and anything else you want to throw in there (I prefer a little grain such as dried oats). Then the possibilities are endless. You could made a red pepper and black bean burger, a cajun red bean burger or anything else that tempts your taste buds.

I was out of black beans which would have been my first choice so I used pinto beans, some jalapeno for flavor, and cilantro. I topped my burger with some chipotle garlic mayo and romaine lettuce. Whatever you choose, don't be afraid to try new things and you never know what you will be able to come up with.

No comments: