Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Kicking Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup


This is a simple soup that really packs a punch and makes a great partner to grilled cheese. The idea of this soup is to focus on the natural flavors of the tomato and peppers with just a touch of cream for richness. The jalapeno in this recipe takes it up a notch from your normal tomato soup, but if you prefer, you can omit it or only add half the pepper instead.

Note: If you prefer to keep the cream out of this recipe, simply add a little more vegetable broth in it's place.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour

Serves: 3-4

Ingredients:

6 small or 4 medium sized red and yellow bell peppers (half of each)

6 medium sized tomato's

4 cloves of garlic

1 small jalapeno - optional

1 1/2 cups vegetable broth - plus more as needed

1/3 cup heavy cream

salt and pepper to taste

olive oil

For Garnish: 1 small yellow pepper - finely chopped - if desired

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425. Line a large baking sheet with tin foil and coat with a thin layer of olive oil or cooking spray. Remove any stems from the vegetables then place tomato's, bell peppers and jalapeno on baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with olive oil. Wrap garlic cloves in a small piece of tin foil. Place on baking sheet.  Remove the garlic after 15 minutes. Keep roasting the remaining vegetables until the pepper skins are golden to dark brown and the tomato's skins have burst open (about 25-30 minutes total). Remove vegetables from oven. Cover them with another piece of tinfoil and let steam for about 10 minutes.

Uncover vegetables and remove seeds from peppers. Remove garlic cloves from their skins. Place the juices from the baking pan, the peppers, tomatoes and garlic into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Pour mixture through a strainer pushing through with a spoon, as needed, into a medium sized pot. On low-med heat bring to a simmer and partially cover. Stirring occasionally cook until mixture slightly thicken - about 15 minutes. Add broth, cream, salt and pepper, stir and cook for 5 more minutes. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed. If you like your soup a little thinner you can add more vegetable broth - if desired. Remove from heat.Top with chopped yellow pepper and serve with grilled cheese.

4 comments:

rico said...

Hi! This recipe sounds great!
I'm going to make it next week.
I have some questions:
Is it necessary to push it through a strainer if I've blended the stuff up real well in the blender? That sounds like it could be strenuous.
My other question is in regard to the garlic, can I peel it first or is it better to roast inside the husk?
Should I use a drip pan for the peppers and tomatoes, or does it matter?
Thanks, I know it is a lot of questions, but I don't cook very often. In fact, I've only made soup once and I ruined it.
I will try to let you know how it goes after I make it.
Thanks again,
Eric

Nobody said...

Hey Rachel! :)

I love soup too! This sounds good, though I dunno if Shawn will eat it cause its pepper (he's not a fan of pepper flavor). lol But I have yet to try one of your recipes, so I will pick one soon and make it! :D Prolly a a soup. W/ adjustments though if it has dairy, sadly. :(

God Bless ~Amy

Rachel Blair said...

Hi Eric! I'm so sorry I missed your questions!!! I'm sure it's too late, but here are the answers!

1.You don't need to put it through the strainer if you don't want to. The only reason I do is because there will be remnants of the skins and this makes the soup smoother, but if you don't mind it, then that is fine.

2. I just line a baking sheet, because it is easier to clean up. If you want to use a drip pan go for it.

3.As long as it is wrapped in tinfoil, you can peel the garlic first if you like, just a dd a little more olive oil over the top of it. It is easier to peel it while it is uncooked, but by keeping it in the husk it allows it to steam a little more and is less likely to dry out.

I'm sure you will do and, or did just fine with it. I would love to get your honest feedback ;)

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!!
Rachel :)

Rachel Blair said...

Hey Amy,
Thanks for your thoughts!! I totally understand if he doesn't like pepper's, and for any of my recipes that have dairy, most of them you can omit the dairy or substitute for a dairy-free item.

Rachel :)