Thursday, October 14, 2010

Caprese Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes and Pesto




Caprese salad is an Italian classic that you will find at most traditional restaurants. It is very easy to make and the combination of fresh basil, balsamic and tomatoes paired with the creamy mozzarella can’t be beat when you make it yourself. You can use pretty much any vine ripe tomato, but the most common used are Beefsteak or Roma. I found some beautiful heirloom tomatoes and they were divine with this salad. If you know me at all you are probably wondering what is wrong with me, because I generally don’t like tomatoes, but when they are fresh and paired with mozzarella and balsamic vinegar, even I can’t resist. Most farmers markets are going on through October, so you should still have few weeks to take advantage of garden fresh tomatoes.

Also, if you don't have heirloom tomatoes, you can use whatever you have on hand.

Ingredients:

1 8oz ball fresh mozzarella - sliced

¼ cup basil pesto – fresh made or store bought ( see my recipe posted on 10-12-10)

Handful of fresh whole basil leaves

2 medium heirloom tomatoes sliced -

Salt and pepper to taste – if desired

Olive oil and balsamic vinegar to taste (use the best you have)


Directions:On two individual plates or a serving platter, alternate layering a slice of tomato, a slice of mozzarella, then a basil leaf until you run out of ingredients. Top with a dash of salt and pepper – if desired. Add a few dollops of pesto and drizzle with your favorite olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jen Eidson said...

Oh, my mom used to make this all the time..I forgot how much I love it!

Rachel Blair said...

Ya, I never tried it until a few years ago, because of my dislike for tomatoes, but I then realized in certain circustances I actually liked them. Plus it tastes even better when you make it yourself.