Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tortilla Adventure Continued....

Ok, so I said I would share the recipes I used for tortilla's. Well the ones I used came from The Well Filled Tortilla, written by Victoria Wise and Susanna Hoffman.
In the flour tortilla recipe (page 29-30) they use 3 cups unbleached flour, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1 tsp salt and 1 cup warm tap water. All the ingredients are blended together and kneaded on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, they say about 3-5 minutes. It took me about 3 minutes. The first batch I let sit in the fridge over night then let sit out for about a half an hour before I used the dough. I liked the texture of these better than my second batch. On my second batch I kneaded the dough and let sit at least 30 minutes as directed. The dough seemed to be more pliable when I let it rest over night in the firdge.

Now I know there are a gazillion tortilla recipes out there and many of them are very similar; you might even have your own. I just liked this one because it does not use lard or shortening and it is super quick and easy. Hand rolling them is also definitely the way to go. I would roll one out throw it in the pan and roll another while that one was cooking. It went really fast and in less than 30 minutes I had a dozen fresh tortilla's.

The hominy ones, also from The Well Filled Tortilla (page 31-32), turned out amazing. The tortilla press worked perfect on these. I just covered both sides of the press with plastic wrap and it made it easy to peel off each tortilla. The trick I learned, is to just put forth enough pressure to fully compact the press then lift right up. You don't want to push too hard, like I did the first few times, what happens is you get segments of tortilla's intead of a whole one. The extra pressure caused the dough to spread out too much causing it to break apart.

For this recipe Wise and Hoffman ask for 1 1/2 cups of canned hominy; pureed (they say most of a 29 ounce can), 1 1/2 cups Masa Harina, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1 cup hot tap water. Blend until it forms a soft ball, then shape into 18 equal sized balls a little bigger than a walnut, but smaller than a golf ball.
I did it a little different. I used all the same ingredients except I used one 15 ounce can of white hominy instead of the larger can (and instead of yellow hominy) and I used 1/2 tsp of kosher salt. They still turned out great. Nice and soft with just a little bit of chewiness.

If you have any adventures or tips of your own please feel free to share them. I could use all the help I can get :D
Happy tortilla making,
Rachel :D

2 comments:

August said...

HI RACH! Every time I make tortillas its a disaster unless Roland's mom is right there with me!! She makes the BEST tortillas I've ever tasted. So i'm gonna try your recipe, wish me LUCK!!! smooches!

Rachel Blair said...

Good luck! You'll have to let me know how they turn out! Love ya!! :)