Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tomatoes - Sometimes I like them, Sometimes I don't

So in my experience, most people either tend to really love tomatoes or just plain hate them. Apparently though, I am not like most people. I used to be one of those who hated tomatoes, and for the most part, I still do. Yet, as I get older I have become more adventuresome and have actually started to try them in more things.

One thing I could never stand was chunky salsa. However, I have come to realize the fresher a tomato is the better it tastes, whereas if you asked me a few years ago, I would have said, "The more a tomato doesn't taste like one, the even better it is..."
Recently while I was feeling extra adventuresome, I decided to make my own chunky salsa. Surprisingly, I liked it. I paired it with my potato taco's and black beans and it was delicious if I do say so myself. So I guess maybe I like tomatoes more than I thought... maybe....

Salsa

Makes about 1 cup

4 good sized roma tomatoes
1 clove of garlic pressed or finely chopped
1 jalapeƱo seeded and finely chopped
2 green onions thinly sliced (whites and greens)
1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
Juice of half a lime

Blend all ingredients together in a glass or plastic bowl. Can serve immediately, but is better if allowed to sit at least one hour covered in the fridge.

No comments: