Saturday, April 3, 2010

Hippity Hoppity Easter’s On It’s Way!!!

Easter will be here in a just a few hours, and to many this is a religious holiday, but to even more, it is just another day to spend time with our loved ones and enjoy delectable foods and tasty sugary treats; for me it is both. I was raised a Christian which means I was brought up celebrating the death and resurrection of Christ. Even more so, this holiday is marked with special celebrations at church and within most communities. When you’re a kid this means lots of goodies and Easter egg hunts. Which I might add, I think is quite rude that people seem to think us adults do not still enjoy this. In fact when I have kids, you better believe the main reason I will attend these events is so I can get in on a bit of the sugary action. However, instead of raiding poor kids Easter baskets, it might be wiser and more considerate to just make our own instead. That’s what I decided to do this year, especially since I don’t have any kids yet ;p

When I was shopping the other day for some treats for my hubby, I figured I should probably get some of my own too; just in case... If anything else, I will have an extra stash of goodies for later. However, not only will our day be filled with treats, but lots of great food. My family is a larger one with seven children and three grandkids. This means family get-together’s are often chaotic, but fun. My mom bless-her-heart, loves to have us all over and is always trying to accommodate our various diets from vegetarian cuisine, to dairy free, to full on meat eaters. This means that our table is exploding with a variety of dishes like macaroni and cheese (my recipe), ham, mashed potatoes, pasta, salad, bread, rice and any other random side dish my mom can think of. Needless to say this gives all of us many options, and is one of the things that make it an unforgettable and enjoyable experience with every family get together.

Whether this is just another day, a special holiday or merely a good reason to get together with family and friends, I hope all of you have a wonderful Easter/Sunday full of wonderful memories, good food and some time for relaxation.

Sincerely, Rachel :)

No comments: