Thursday, May 27, 2010

My Favorite Salad Fixin's

When I eat a salad it is all about texture and the integration of various flavors.

Here are a few of my favorites. This list seems long, and these are just my favorites. it goes to show how many options there are.

Toppings:

Dried Cranberries
Dried Apricots (chopped into bite sized pieces)
Toasted Pecan Pieces
Roasted Slivered Almonds
Cashews
Shelled Pumpkin Seeds
Sunflower seeds
Cilantro
Black Beans
Sweet Corn Kernels
Avocado
Gorgonzola Crumbles
Goat Cheese (soft - broken into pieces, or hard - shredded/crumbled)
Fresh Cracked Pepper
Kosher Salt (I like this salt better because it is tiny little flakes rather than granules)

Dressing Ideas:

Balsamic Vinegar (my favorite is: Trader Joe’s Gold Quality Balsamic Vinegar of Modena)

Olive Oil & Lemon Juice (another simple alternative to balsamic vinegar and olive oil)

Salsa Ranch (take equal parts salsa and ranch - blend together)

Vinaigrette (I will post my recipe)

My all time favorite dressing is: Woodstock Dressing by Annie’s Naturals – it is an earthy and flavorful dressing with tomato and a hint of Tahini (sesame paste), its sooo good!

Lettuces:

Butter Lettuce – a tender, pliable and mild flavored lettuce – mixes well with other lettuces such as romaine and radicchio. Also, is a great lettuce to use for Asian Noodle Rolls.

Romaine – a darker mild flavored lettuce that pairs well with most lettuces – very versatile.

Arugula – a slightly bitter and peppery green - pairs nicely with gorgonzola or blue cheese and toasted nuts such as hazelnuts or pecans.

No comments: