Thursday, May 27, 2010

Salad – The Jack and, or Sally of All Trades

When it comes to many things in the world of food, salad is one of those things that is always lingering about. For example: If you are trying to eat healthy; salad. Looking for a good side dish; salad. Looking for something to just throw together; salad. Looking for something to feed your rabbit; salad. Sorry I couldn’t resist that last one, but really when you think about it, salad is one of those things that is just well, there...

The sad thing is salad rarely gets the respect it deserves and is often the target of un-necessary prejudice and stereotyping. We often assume by the name Salad that it is just going to be some lame pieces of soggy green stuff swimming in a pool of mass produced, creamy, white substance supposedly called dressing. Really I can see why it is often mistreated. Poor Salad…

Today I am here to give Salad it’s much needed image boost. Let me just say for the record that Salad is cool. Yes, I said cool. Well sometimes it can be warm, but that’s another story. But, before I begin, let me define what salad is. According to Webster’s Dictionary Online, Salad means:

Any of various usually cold dishes : as a : raw greens (as lettuce) often combined with other vegetables and toppings and served especially with dressing b : small pieces of food (as pasta, meat, fruit, or vegetables) usually mixed with a dressing (as mayonnaise) or set in gelatin.

As you can see Salad is not just limited to lettuce, though that is the most common base for one and still my personal favorite. What makes Salad so versatile in my opinion, is the fact that lettuce (depending on the kind you choose) is the perfect canvas for a wide array of toppings, combine that with an endless variety of dressings and you have a plethora of combinations that is only limited to the size of your imagination. Once you get the hang of the leafy stuff, I suggest venturing into the sub categories such as pasta, grains (my favorite is couscous, which is often considered a pasta too), and fruits. Whatever you choose, I would love to hear about your adventures and what your favorites are. I will also list some of my favorite salad fixin's and my recipe for vinaigrette.

Happy Salad Eating,
Rachel :)

No comments: