Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Arugula Salad with White Balsamic Vinaigrette and Fried Egg




I was inspired for this recipe while I was on a walk today with my husband Brandon. We hadn’t eaten breakfast yet and in my hunger, I started thinking up recipe ideas. Quite honestly I am not much of a fan of eggs. However, I have often seen on the iron chef and various other cooking shows were someone will put a fried or poached egg on top of a bed of greens with warm bacon vinaigrette. For some reason this sounded extremely good to me today.

This recipe is veggie friendly, but you could most certainly substitute some or all of the oil for warm bacon grease and top the salad with a few bacon crumbles – if you want to that is. Though seriously most people, including some vegetarians I have met, looove bacon. So feel free to. I won’t hold it against you ;)

For this dish, I love arugula because of its peppery quality. It also pairs nicely with a more acidic dressing such as vinaigrette like I made below. Paired with the warmth and heartiness of the egg, you have a satisfying, unique and flavorful meal. I used a hard fried egg, however if you like your yolk runny, I would recommend trying it that way. The fatty, creamy quality of the yolk will blend well with the acidity of the dressing.



For the vinaigrette:

¼ cup white balsamic vinegar

¼ cup olive oil –if desired – you can substitute warm bacon grease for the oil

1 large pinch of sugar

Fresh ground pepper to taste

1 tbs Dijon mustard

Directions: Whisk all ingredients together except for the oil or grease. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the oil. Keep whisking until well blended. Set aside.


For Salad:
3 Cups Arugula

2 eggs - fried

Directions:On medium heat, fry the eggs until desired doneness; season with salt and pepper. Split the arugula between two large bowls or plates. Drizzle the vinaigrette over each salad. Top the salads with a fried and serve.

No comments: