Friday, April 22, 2011

Mango and Apple Compote


I had some really ripe mangos sitting on the counter and I knew if I did'nt do something with them soon, they would go bad. I was looking for some healthier dessert option to go with my Curry Dahl and thought why not make a compote. I looove cooked apples and mangos are great any way you make them, so I threw them all in a pot with some spices and the result was a satisfying, sweet and delicious finish to the meal. Mangos are also very popular in Indian Cuisine so it was a perfect coincidence that I just happened to have some on hand :)


Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

2 mangos peeled and chopped

3 gala or braeburn apples peeled and chopped

Pinch of ground cloves

1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

2 tbs butter

2 tbs brown sugar

½ tsp fresh grated ginger

Directions:
In a medium sized sauce pan, melt butter and add brown sugar. Cook until bubbly and sugar is mostly dissolved 1-2 minutes. Add in fruit and spices. Simmer on medium heat for about 30 minutes until remaining liquid is syrupy and fruit is very tender, but not mushy.

No comments: