Saturday, April 2, 2011

Restaraunt Review - The Griddle in Winnemucca Nevada

My husband and I love to try new restaurants, in fact we always try to eat at a new place whenever possible. But every once in a while, if your lucky, you find a diamond in the rough, a little gem that's worth coming back to. The Griddle in Winnemucca, Nevada is one of them. We happened upon this little treasure on our motorcycle trip last summer. Since we were passing through the area on our way to Elko, I told Brandon we were going to stop there again. Though I wasn't really giving him a choice, he happily agreed ;p

The first time we had breakfast; I can still remember my raspberry and peach topped crepes stuffed with a sweetened cream. They were yummy! The restaurant is family owned and has been since it opened it's doors in 1948. They specialize in breakfast and lunch, but breakfast is what it's really about here. The food is diner fair with a little flair. Sure they have burgers, soups and sandwhiches along with the typical omelettes and waffles, but the Griddle serves their food with a little extra love and the majority of them with homemade dressings, sauces and relishes. You will also find some out of the ordinary dishes for a diner, like crepes and juevos rancheros for breakfast. There also have daily specials and baked treats.

This time in passing through, I wanted to try out their lunch. I had a Turkey Cranberry sandwich with homemade cranberry relish and Brandon had one of their house specialties - The Golden Gate - a turkey sandwich with avocado, the bread is coated with Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes then grilled until it's golden. It's a toasty, cheesy and a delicious twist to the normal turkey sandwich. For dessert, we had a slice of warmed pumpkin roll cake. The cake was moist, light and perfectly spiced, which paired nicely with the cream cheese filling. Mmm... I wish I had another piece while I am writing this. All in all, both visits have been well worth the stop.

If you are ever passing through the area or even if you are somewhat close by, it is worth making a detour through Winnemucca to stop at the griddle. You can check out the site and their menu at http://www.thegriddle.com

They also have two other locations which I have not been to yet, in Eagle Idaho and Meridian Idaho.

Also when we were their last they had a sign up saying they would soon be serving dinner, though I am not sure if this will be at all locations. I also notice there is no dinner menu up yet, so if you are passing through in the evening give them a call.

No comments: