Friday, June 3, 2011

Cornmeal Griddle Cakes




Since I made hush puppies this week, and though I have a similar recipe on my blog already, I thought it would be fitting to add another cornmeal recipe this week. Cornmeal is one of my favorite ingredients because of it’s versatility. You can use it to bread things for a nice crispy coating, you can make grits or polenta depending on the coarseness of your cornmeal, you can make fritters and many other things too. My hopes with these recipes this week is to give you a few ideas for adding cornmeal into your pantry, if it isn’t already.

I originally found this recipe on Paula Deen’s website after seeing her make these on one of her shows. Brandon (my Hubby) emmediatley turned to me and sai, “You have to make those”. I have tweaked it a little to fit what I had in my pantry. There are many other versions of this recipe as well and I have since gone on to make many myself, however this is a great basic one to get you started. They are super tasty for breakfast with just a little jam, honey on top or fresh berries on top.

Note 1: This recipe asks for buttermilk. If you do not have any on hand you can make your own. Just add 1 tsp vinegar to 1 cup milk stir and let sit for 5 minutes to let the vinegar work it’s magic.


Basic Griddle Cakes

Makes: about 12 griddle cakes – depending on size you make them

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 20-25 minutes

Ingredients:

¼ cup vegetable oil

1/3 cup plus 1 tbs water

¾ cup buttermilk

2 eggs

2 tbs sugar

1 cup flour

1 cup cornmeal

½ tsp baking powder

½ tsp baking soda

Pinch of salt

Directions:

Pre-Heat a large frying pan or griddle on medium heat. Add 1-2 tabs oil and drop batter 1 tablespoons at a time into pan. Cook until golden brown on each side – about 2-3 minutes.  Cook in batches of 3-4. Remove and place cooked ones on a paper towel until ready to serve. Top with fresh berries in syrup, honey or jam.
Green Chili Griddle Cakes








Note 2: To get the variation I have pictured above, I have added a small can of green chilies, 1/3 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and an 1/8 tsp cayenne. Enjoy!

No comments: